Author, Burning for Freedom

Author, Burning for Freedom
click image for my amazon page or to buy 'Burning for Freedom'

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A little bone to pick . . .

Hi, Everyone! It is definitely no secret how I feel about Savarkar! But there is one place where I have a bone to pick with him.

Savarkar was held in great awe by all those around him. Though he inspired great devotion in many, not many expressed themselves freely to him. So many simple questions that are being argued over re Savarkar today would not be necessary had someone actually asked him. It puzzles me why it was not done!

Anyway, I do feel, since I don’t believe in being awestruck by anyone, that I would have the necessary gumption to put my issue before him.

Savarkar definitely had great respect and admiration for strong women who faced adversity and took bold steps especially for Mother India. That is apparent in his expressed feelings re Lakshmibai, Queen of Jhansi, his sisters-in-law, and the female characters in his fictional writing.

But when it came right down to it, so it seems to me, he didn’t quite believe women could actually be strong and bold enough to achieve anything in general. In the meager words he has written on women, one finds that he will almost always include the word ‘beautiful’ before the word ‘woman.’ One gets the impression that he believes women are overall all fluff.

This is just my impression, mind you. But I sure would have liked to have an opportunity to put it before him and argue his ears off, if it was indeed true.

Savarkar, of course, was famous for his comebacks, and I might have found myself squashed gently but surely instead (and perhaps turning tail as fast as Nirmalamaushi.) But I would have surely tried.


Anurupa

No comments:

Post a Comment