Author, Burning for Freedom

Author, Burning for Freedom
click image for my amazon page or to buy 'Burning for Freedom'

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Young Voice of America Joins Mine . . .

 

“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.”

- Edward Everett Hale

 

Hi, Everyone! I have mentioned a few times before how much discouragement I have received re my stance to expose the truth of Gandhi through my novel (and my blog too.) One particular persistent voice still echoes in my head.

“Why bother? You are only one voice. Indians won’t buy your book and Americans won’t like what you are doing,” said the voice.

Of course, since I believe that one must do what one must without expectation of gain, and even one lonely voice is better than no voice at all, I did not let this constant chipping at my confidence hold me back.

And today I shall tell you a little anecdote that gives me great hope.

I grew up with Gandhism rammed down my throat in Indian schools. The same, I am sure, goes on in India even now. But what I find unacceptable is that it should creep into schools here in the U.S. Why should the erroneous image of Gandhi be perpetrated so mindlessly?

In the Middle-school of my town, a teacher was making one such reference to the goodness of Gandhi and his principles of nonviolence that won India her freedom. This time one hand rose up in protest!

Sara Gyulakian, an intrepid thirteen-year-old, spoke out: “No, that is not true! Do read this book, Burning for Freedom.”

How this gladdens my heart! In a world where adults are afraid to give voice to opinions that are not held by the public in general, here was a teenager not afraid to speak out.

I am not one voice anymore, a young voice of America speaks with me.

One ripple of hope has stirred the air . . .


Anurupa

2 comments:

  1. i am with you. i am your reader. i will try to spread this blog as much as possible. we need to awake from slumber.

    ReplyDelete