Author, Burning for Freedom

Author, Burning for Freedom
click image for my amazon page or to buy 'Burning for Freedom'

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Savarkar: Framed by a picture . . .



“A picture is worth a thousand words—that just makes it a thousand times more efficient at innuendo, insinuation, and implication.”

-         Anurupa Cinar

 

Hi, Everyone! Today I am going to give some excerpts from an affidavit submitted by Savarkar on May 18, 1948.

·        The stark words reveal the fact that Savarkar was allowed to meet his lawyer only after three-months plus of incarceration.

They also reveal another concern that Savarkar had—a group photograph taken with others suspected in being involved in the conspiracy to murder Gandhi.

For the entire document click here:


“I, Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, do hereby swear and state on solemn affirmation as under:-

1.   That on 5th February, 1948, I was arrested, in my house “Savarkar Sadan” at Dadar, Bombay by the Bombay Police. I am, since then, under detention in the Arthur Road Prison, Bombay. . . .

4.   . . . I was remanded to Police custody. I was then taken to the Arthur Road Prison. The Bombay Police repeated the remand application from time to time and they were granted. The present remand expires on the 18th of May, 1948.

5.   That on the 11th of May, 1948, I was taken from the Arthur Road Prison, Bombay, to the C.I.D. Office by the Bombay Police Officers. I was then made to sit in a chair and Godse and others who are suspected to be concerned in the murder of Mahatma Gandhi were placed by my sides. We were then all photographed in a group. I disclaim any association with them of any of them at any time.

6.   That I apprehend that the same photograph may possibly be used to concoct evidence against me.

7.   That after I was photographed, as stated above, I got an opportunity, for the first time to see my advocate Mr. S.V. Deodhar on 14th May, 1948. . . . ”

How true was Savarkar’s concern is amply proved by the fact that this particular photo (and another taken on the first day of the trial) are used by several people on blogs, websites, books, or any place where they would like to finger Savarkar as a conspirator in Gandhi’s murder.

I give a typical comment re it below:

“There is a picture of Savarkar in that link which is very telling. All these people were accused of plotting to kill Mahatma Gandhi.”

Really, what does the picture actually tell? Only that Savarkar was charged in the Gandhi-murder Case. Unfortunately, the picture cannot speak and say that he was acquitted.

Sometimes the photo is accompanied by comments like these (or a variation thereof):

“Among those who sat in the dock he alone seemed to be well cast for the role he was playing.”

Sometimes there is an offending oval circling Savarkar’s face.

Yes, this picture has been a very efficient tool in the Savarkar-bashing trend. It is very difficult to combat an imagery produced by a picture.

Which is why I say:

“A picture is worth a thousand words—that just makes it a thousand times more efficient at innuendo, insinuation, and implication.”

Anurupa

No comments:

Post a Comment