“The new ruler must determine all the injuries that he will need to inflict. He must inflict them once and for all.”
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Hi, Everyone! I am going to give you all something to chew on. These are thoughts that have come to my mind, not something I have researched on.
There is a very important fact re the Gandhi-Murder Case that is largely ignored. There were two separate crimes committed in January of 1948.
· The first was the attempted (or rather plan to) assassination of Gandhi on January 20, 1948
Also, an important point to consider here is, the assassination did not take place as the assassin changed his mind and decided not to kill the Mahatma. That should also change the legal complexion of the charge.
· The second, the assassination of Gandhi on January 30, 1948.
Why were there not two separate trials?
The threadbare, hearsay (non)evidence that the Government had tortured out of Badge could, at a stretch, connect Savarkar to the first crime, the plan—one never actually carried out—to assassinate Gandhi.
· Put in this proper perspective, it is immediately apparent that the legal consequence of this crime could not possibly be of the same magnitude as the legal consequence of conspiracy to murder.
There would be no possibility of Savarkar being sentenced to death, if the crimes were separated.
· Also, the separation of the two crimes would immediately have led to a focus on why the Government of India could not prevent the murder of the Mahatma.
Only by rolling these two separate crimes into one Nehru—and again, as the Prime Minister he is certainly to be held responsible—could achieve so many goals:
1) Utter ruin of Savarkar
2) Cover-up of the Government culpability in not preventing the Mahatma’s murder
3) Wiping out the Hindu-Sanghatanists
4) By unleashing the Reign of Terror, the control of the press, and the bans, opposition was licked into shape and the common man was duped; Nehru reigned supreme as the “lovable” and beloved Prime Minister.
It was a Machiavellian move; it was a diablolical masterstroke.